Monday, March 03, 2008

as promised...

Here's the Shetland Triangle, yanked into shape after a soak in the sink.
I'm pleased. I think it's an intriguing pattern, and it was fun and easy to knit. I'm a little disappointed that it isn't bigger; I followed the directions exactly, and I wish I'd added at least one or two extra pattern repeats. It is a skimpy scarf more than a shawl, and one I'll use mostly when the weather is mellow. I'm planning to wear it to a wedding at the end of the month. The wedding's in LA, so I'm thinking it won't be snowing. Now I need a dress...

The completion of this shawl, the completion of the last pair of socks I was making for a Christmas gift, plus last week's rip fest, all combined to create an alarming situation: No simple knitting projects currently on the needles. I have a Cat Bordhi pair of socks currently going, but they're sort of languishing because it's not an automatic pilot project. I need those.

So I dug into the sock yarn stash, and started winding this:
That's a skein of Shaefer Anne, in an unknown colorway. A pair of socks made with Anne is a bit of a commitment for me, because it's skinny yarn, and I have big feet, and I knit socks on little needles. Anne knits up just right for me on 0s, with 80 stitches around. These should take a while. I may even be knitting them on our way to that wedding in LA.

4 comments:

Granna Judy said...

Oh my!! It's beautiful! Really nice job -- what color dress are you going to put under it?

And I love the sock yarn -- good luck. Sounds like with 80 sts around and on 0's you might very well be knitting on them on the way out, but I'm sure you'll need another pair to work on for the trip home from the wedding. Feel free to raid my stash :-)

Mrs. G. said...

Beautiful!

Unknown said...

That shawl is gorgeous. I am stunned at how quickly you knit. How long do you leave it pinned? Does it have to be reshaped periodically?

Lizabeth Cain said...

Lace knits fast, because of all the holes. Also, I love knitting lace, so it tends to go pretty quickly.

I left it pinned to the bed for about six hours, until it was dry. I helped it along a bit at the end with a hair dryer. I think it probably will need to be reshaped occasionally.