Thursday, July 17, 2008

first ever spinning FO


These are my new socks, finished while we were away at the beach, knit from handspun 3-ply blue-faced Leicester. The leg and instep are a simple k2 p2 rib. The yarn turned out much fatter than most sock yarn I use, so I knit these on 1s with 56 stitches around.

It was an interesting experience, knitting with my handspun. I fretted from time to time over the unevenness of the yarn, but it knitted up just fine. I didn't do any reinforcing with nylon or anything else, just tried to ply it relatively firmly, hoping that would lend some strength. It will be interesting to see how these hold up.

I'm not much of a pink person, but I have been consciously seeking out pinks I can tolerate over the last year or so. I think these will be quite wearable.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are great. I have yet to spin sock yarn (though I think I aimed to once, got something thicker, and knit mittens) but I often find that what looks like uneven handspun knits up just fine. I've also read lots of things that suggest that tight twist will do it for making it harder wearing.

Ipo said...

looks great and the PINK is PERFECT!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! So jealous...seems like my life goal is to get a spinning wheel.

Over the last few years, I've come to terms with pink. I had a Pepto pink room as a girl and hated it. Still don't like that shade, but calmer pinks are just fine :)

Lizabeth Cain said...

You know anthromama, I don't mean to be an enabler, but I think you said the reason you don't have a spinning wheel is that you have no space in your house. There are some modern spinning wheels that have a tiny footprint (mine is one) and there are others that fold up completely and can fit under a bed or into a closet when not in use.

Granna Judy said...

Beautiful!! Too bad they fit you :-)

Anonymous said...

Why are you consciously tolerating pink? Do you see the lack of pink-tolerance as a character flaw to overcome?

Lizabeth Cain said...

Oh Michael, you do ask the hard questions. It's all about chakras, honestly. The fourth chakra's color is green, but in some systems can also be pink. It's the chakra of releasing emotional trauma, and has been, for about the last ten years, something I've been working on releasing. I mostly use green. I started consciously introducing pink hoping it would give me some additional traction on fourth chakra balancing.

Aren't you glad you asked? ;-)